- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Did life Improve for Black people after 1865? The Civil war finally ended in 1865 but did life really improve
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Did life Improve for Black people after 1865?
The Civil war finally ended in 1865 but did life really improve for the Blacks there after? In this essay I am going to give evidence for and against to support whether or not life did improve. I will discuss the new organisations that arose such as the Ku Klux Klan and the Freedmen's Bureau, As well as the blood and gore side of things. Why did they use such terrible methods of murder?
1865: 13th Amendment
1868: 14th Amendment
Black people became US citizens protected by the Law
1870: 15th Amendment
Blacks were allowed to vote
The Freedmen's Bureau was an organisation set up by the government in 1865. It organised education, health care, orphanages and found work of a reasonable standard for ex-slaves.
By 1874 schools had increased literacy skills among black people to 20%. Many States took this to their advantage and used it as an excuse to limit the rights of black people. In other words; if you weren't able to read and write then you were not allowed to vote! Despite this, literacy
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1941-80 (view all)
- Many changes occurred during the late 1950s into the early 1...
- What impact did Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam have on th...
- How significant was Malcolm X in the rise of Black Power?
- What disadvantages did Black Americans face in the early 195...
- Was America justified in dropping the atom bomb on Hiroshima...
- The importance of Lyndon Johnson in bringing about Civil Rig...
- Was the dropping of the bombs Hiroshima and Nagasaki justifi...
- How far do representations 1 and 2 differ in their view of t...
- The Life of Martin Luther King. Jr
- Theories on the John F. Kennedy Assassination
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.