• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

From 1750-1900 British towns changed rapidly and it was a change for the better

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

From 1750-1900 British towns changed rapidly and it was a change for the better In 1750 only 20% of Britain's population lived in towns. This was because the other 80% were farmers who lived in small villages and supported themselves, as each farmer had their own strip of land to farm, this was called 'the open-field system' but as the population grew more food was needed to feed the extra people and so 'the enclosure system' was developed, this meant that less farmers were needed as the new larger fields opened up opportunity for new modern machinery. This meant the growing population were looking for jobs other than farming. By 1830 50% of the population lived in towns. ...read more.

Middle

The first answer to this was the canals, which was the fastest and most reliable form of transport at the time; it could also carry more goods than the horse and cart. By 1825, built by George Stevenson, the first railway opened between Stockton and Darlington. This was very successful and was soon making a profit and so railways began to spread across the country. Because of the trains speed and ability to carry much more goods than any previous form of transport it meant that the growth in industry in towns could continue. During the industrial revolution there wasn't a lot that stayed the same, but something's did stay the same until near the end of the 19th century. ...read more.

Conclusion

Firstly the huge improvement in transport, in 1750 everything had to be transported by horse and cart or by boat around the coast or on navigable rivers, and by horse it took 5-6 days to travel from London to Edinburgh. By the end of the industrial revolution you could travel from London to Edinburgh by train in just 10 hours. Because of the strong economy the country became richer and so by the end of the industrial revolution, such things as the police force had been set-up, also attending school had become compulsory for 5-11 year olds. Also people were richer, so the quality of housing improved and the towns were richer so were cleaner and had proper sewage systems for example. All basically meaning that quality of life improved, not only for the working class but also for everyone. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Russia, USSR 1905-1941 section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Russia, USSR 1905-1941 essays

  1. How did living conditions change in towns as a result of the Industrial Revolution ...

    the elderly to contribute to their families sales as well as for mothers to be able to look after their children in a safe environment .In addition to this , families were able to retrieve all the profit made from the produce with out a single part of it going

  2. Why did Britain Have an Industrial Revolution Between 1750 and 1850?

    This meant that there was a lot of cheap labour and lots of extra raw materials at Britain's disposal. This gave opportunity for England to make good of the new technologies coming about during that period. This helped towards creating the new machines, buildings, and transport routes involved in making a new business enterprise.

  1. How Successful Was Roosevelt’s New Deal?

    Keynes believed that government spending could reverse the 'downward spiral' and so between 1933 and 1937, Franklin D. Roosevelt based his policies on Keynesian economics. However, Roosevelt did not believe that a government could go on spending more than it got back in taxes for long.

  2. "Was life better for the Russian's by 1914 compared to 1900?"

    * The government was still autocratic and repressive. * The reputation of the monarchy had never really recovered from the events of Bloody Sunday. * Industry was still small compared to Western Europe standards. * Agriculture was also still very poor despite Stolypin's efforts. It would be years before anything would have an effect.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work