- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Has the USA's Role in Foreign affairs changed from 1962 to the Present day? Why has this change Occurred?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Has the USA's Role in Foreign affairs changed from 1962 to the Present day?
Why has this change Occurred?
The USA has always played a major role in foreign affairs but that role has changed throughout the course of history. Before 1962 America's main aim was to stop the spread of communism through the tactic of containment. Russia was the USA's biggest threat and for years they fought a Cold War with the other superpower country. From 1945 to 1962 America used war through other countries to attack communism. This way the USA and the Soviet Union weren't fighting directly. An organisation containing western powers was set up. They agreed to work together and oppose communist Russia. They called this pact NATO. In 1950 another confrontation between the USA and communism occurred called the Korean War. After the Second World War the North of Korea had been freed by the Communist Soviets and the South by the Capitalist USA. The North attempted to invade the South and another war broke out between the two beliefs. The peak of the cold war was in Autumn of 1962 when the Cuban Missile crisis occurred. It's the closest that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- How important was the nuclear arms race in the development o...
- Who was to blame for the Cold War?
- The role of the Berlin airlift and the Korean War in the dev...
- Causes of the Cold war. Soviet expansion and the Marshall Pl...
- In what ways did relations between the USA and the USSR chan...
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
- The Importance of East Germany in the Cold War
- Do you agree with the assessment that Mao was nothing other ...
- From Then to Now: Tibets Struggle for Freedom
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.