- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How far does the site of Warwick Castle and the supporting sources help you understand the way that castles changed and developed over time?
The first 200 words of this essay...
YEAR 11 COURSEWORK -
HISTORY AROUND US - WARWICK CASTLE
1) How far does the site of Warwick Castle and the supporting sources help you understand the way that castles changed and developed over time?
Warwick castle was first founded in 914 as an Anglo Saxon hilltop settlement built for defensive reasons. Then in 1068, Normans built a Motte and Bailey castle so therefore further increasing the defensive qualities of the site, and by the middle of the 13th century, the wooden wall had been replaced by a stone wall. These further developments carried on as new rulers came into ownership of the castle to strengthen and modernise the defensive features of the castle. In the second half of the 14th century, more reconstruction took place and now an imposing gatehouse and barbican were added. Also the guy and Caesar towers were built which could see all the way around the castle which was an extremely defensive feature for a castle to have at this time. Finally in the late 1640's cannons were added into the towers and the mound as new technology was introduced. By the late 16 and 1700's, the castle and rooms were
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- Daily life in the 1600s
- Why did the discoveries of the Renaissance make little pract...
- Why did Hitler order an attack on Stalingrad, yet fail to ca...
- How and why has Windsor Castle developed since 1080?
- The soviet union was to blame for the Cold War.
- A comparison of the how the source booklet provided and my ...
- How reliable is Jonathan Coad's description of Dover Castle ...
- How important is Dover Castle's location? Also take into acc...
- An Estate Agent's Guide To A Roman Villa
- The causes for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Zoey. University Student.