- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How far has the organisation of the UNO hindered its effectiveness?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
How far has the Organisation of the UN hindered its effectiveness?
The United Nations is composed of a Security Council, a General Assembly, a Secretariat, a Trusteeship Council, an Economic and Social Council, an International Court of Justice and various Specialised Agenicies. All these bodies aim to make the UN a highly effective organisation. The question, however, remains to what extend can they achieve that.
The General Assembly is a place of discussion of world issues. It can make recommendations, but which are not binding on members, so it has no real power. The superpowers can no longer control the decisions passed in the General Assembly, and countries with a common ideological or geographical interest tend to make a collective decision on how to vote. Thus the Assembly passes many unrealistic resolutions which cannot be enforced.
The UN can get involved in world disputes only when the interests of the 5 permanent members coincide or when they are not greatly concerned about an issue. This prevented the UN from acting many times, like in Vietnam.
Therefore, both the membership of the General Assembly and of the Security Council determined to a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- Which country is most responsible for the Cuban missile cris...
- Explain why the USA and the Soviet Union did not trust eacho...
- The role of the Berlin airlift and the Korean War in the dev...
- Causes of the Cold war. Soviet expansion and the Marshall Pl...
- Soweto Riots - The effects of Black Consciousness
- How did Stalin take over Eastern Europe between 1945 and 194...
- Edexcel Cold War 1943-1991 Revision (Detailed)
- Why did communism collapse in Eastern Europe and the USSR?
- Key figures in the Hungarian and Czech Uprisings
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.