- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
How far has the organisation of the UNO hindered its effectiveness?
The first 200 words of this essay...
How far has the Organisation of the UN hindered its effectiveness?
The United Nations is composed of a Security Council, a General Assembly, a Secretariat, a Trusteeship Council, an Economic and Social Council, an International Court of Justice and various Specialised Agenicies. All these bodies aim to make the UN a highly effective organisation. The question, however, remains to what extend can they achieve that.
The General Assembly is a place of discussion of world issues. It can make recommendations, but which are not binding on members, so it has no real power. The superpowers can no longer control the decisions passed in the General Assembly, and countries with a common ideological or geographical interest tend to make a collective decision on how to vote. Thus the Assembly passes many unrealistic resolutions which cannot be enforced.
The UN can get involved in world disputes only when the interests of the 5 permanent members coincide or when they are not greatly concerned about an issue. This prevented the UN from acting many times, like in Vietnam.
Therefore, both the membership of the General Assembly and of the Security Council determined to a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- Who was to blame for the Cold War?
- ‘Britain was humiliated by international opinion an...
- The role of the Berlin airlift and the Korean War in the dev...
- Assess to what extent does social policy reflect on the trad...
- Which country is most responsible for the Cuban missile cris...
- Edexcel Cold War 1943-1991 Revision (Detailed)
- Why did communism collapse in Eastern Europe and the USSR?
- Key figures in the Hungarian and Czech Uprisings
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.