- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Describe the Disadvantages faced by Catholics in Northern Ireland in the mid-1960s
Northern Ireland in the mid-1960s was a divided society. The Protestants and Catholics were segregated. Examples of this segregation are in education where Protestant children went to Protestant schools and Catholic children went to Catholic schools. Through this segregated schooling religious divisions between Protestants and Catholics were passed from one generation to the other. Housing was another example of segregation. Protestants lived near other Protestants and Catholics lived near other Catholics. Employment was also segregated. Many businesses and industries employed only Protestant or Catholics, for example the Bushmills whiskey distillery in County Antrim employed nearly all Protestants.
Catholics were disadvantaged by being treated unfairly in employment, Catholics always suspected anti-Catholic prejudice. Harland and Wolf shipyard in Belfast employed 10,000 workers, the biggest source of employment in the city, just 400 were Catholic. Fermanagh County Council employed 370 people, 322 jobs including the top ones were filled by Protestants. In Fermanagh there were 75 schools bus drivers and only 7 of them were Catholic. The total population of Fermanagh was more than half Catholic. In sport there was also segregation, for example at Linfield FC, a
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Causes of the 1916 Easter Rising.
- What were the consequences of the 1916 Easter rising?
- Catholic discrimination in Northern Ireland in terms of Hous...
- Catholic and Protestant, Nationalist and Unionist, Republica...
- The long term causes of Bloody Sunday
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.