- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Preparations for War
The first 200 words of this essay...
Preparations for War
You need to understand why Northern Ireland wasn't ready for war, how and why the RAF was reorganised within Northern Ireland, the measures introduced by the NI Government to prepare NI for war, MacDermott's reforms.
Northern Ireland wasn't ready for war even though Stormont had quickly promised its support to London. The administration continued to believe that the province was beyond the range of enemy aircraft and so appropriate defence measures weren't put in place. They believed this because Germans would have to travel up to 1000 miles to reach NI.
When the war was under way the government still was slow to react. It wasn't until well into 1941 that the majority of NI was covered by Radar and steps had been taken to introduce anti-aircraft batteries. There were still far from enough anti-defence structures in place to keep NI safe.
By June 1940, the Nazis had defeated France and reached the Channel. Therefore air attacks were more likely to happen. This lead to reorganisation of the RAF which included:
* Increase in squadrons within NI
* Hurricane Fighter Aircraft
* Construction of airfields
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Northern Ireland 1965-85 (view all)
- Causes of the 1916 Easter Rising.
- What are the main differences between Republicans / National...
- Why the Troubles broke out in Northern Ireland in 1969.
- Catholic and Protestant, Nationalist and Unionist, Republica...
- What were the consequences of the 1916 Easter rising?
- The underlying cause of the conflict between Northern Irelan...
- Was the Hunger Strike Campaign of the 1980s the most signifi...
- Describe the disadvantages that faced Catholics in Northern ...
- How did Protestant Politicians explain the social, economic ...
- Why were the British Troops sent to Northern Ireland in Augu...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.