- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Revision Notes on the Berlin Wall
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Berlin Wall
* Berlin was an important battle ground of the Cold War.
* It was the Capital of Germany.
* It was divided into 2 sectors: the East and West.
Why was the Berlin wall built?
* The crushing of the Hungarian uprising gave a message that it was impossible to defeat the Communist. The only way to escape was to leave.
* Other reasons for people to leave Eastern Europe include: economic reasons and the low standard of living (enticed to live in a Capitalist state where the standard of living was much higher).
* This was especially evident in Berlin. In East Berlin, living conditions were poor; however, in West Berlin the living conditions were much better. This was deliberately done by the Western powers to attract people living in East Berlin. They western powers: filled West Berlin with shops full of goods and allowed East Germans to watch West German television.
* It was very tempting for the people of East Berlin to travel to West Berlin. In the 1950s East Germans were able to do so; however, in the late 1950s,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1945-1991 (view all)
- Soweto Riots - The effects of Black Consciousness
- "Describe and explain where applicable the socio-econom...
- How important was the nuclear arms race in the development o...
- Suez Canal Crisis
- Did the Soweto Uprising on June 16th 1976 lead to the death ...
- How successful were the PLO in promoting its cause between 1...
- Who was to blame for the cold war?
- The Importance of East Germany in the Cold War
- Do you agree with the assessment that Mao was nothing other ...
- From Then to Now: Tibets Struggle for Freedom
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.