- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Sharpeville - massacre or self defence
The first 200 words of this essay...
Do these sources prove that the South African Police force was justified and acting in self defence at Sharpeville?
The events that happened at Sharpeville are, and probably will always be, undecided. We know that the South African Police shot the crowd, but we aren't sure whether it was justified and acting in self defence.
Source C and H both back up this statement. Source C claims that the blacks attacked the police with weapons first including firearms and stoning. The statement was from the South African Embassy so they were backing up governemnt. Although they should be reliable and it was written at the time, they were not there at the scene.
Source H also claims that the crowd were violent as "a crowd of several hundred Africans this afternoon began stoning the police armoured cars". But it also says that it was "after the shooting in the morning, in which one African was killed and another seriously wounded" which means it was after the incident so not actually relating to the incident. However the extract does mention that there was stoning which cross references with Source C. This isn't a very reliable source as it
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- Medicine Through Time Timeline
- A Guide to Standard Grade History: Essay Writing
- How and why did castles change over time?
- Did England become Protestant in the sixteenth century?
- oliver cromell- hero or villain?
- Anne Frank Factfile
- St.David's effect on Christianity in Wales
- Henry Tudor. How did a Welshman become King of England?
- Describe and explain the foundation of the National Health S...
- Evaluate the role of William Wilberforce in his campaign to ...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.