- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
the effects of the Depression upon the people of Jarrow. I think that the sources are helpful and this is what I am going to prove in this essay.
The first 200 words of this essay...
In this essay I am looking into how useful Sources D and E are in helping me to show the effects of the Depression upon the people of Jarrow. I think that the sources are helpful and this is what I am going to prove in this essay.
First looking at source D which is part of a report from the Jarrow Public Health Committee and was published in 1933. At this time something called the "Means Test" was in place, the means test was where if taxes could not be paid then pieces of furniture or in fact any possessions could be taken off you in order to pay this. You would have had someone look around your house to see if anything could be used to pay off your debt, for example, if their were 4 people living in a flat and that family had 6 chairs, 2 of these would be taken to be sold to help with the payments. The report describes a very run-down and dingy house, the origin of the source is clear (It is a Jarrow Health Committee report therefore it would probably have been reliable), the purpose of this report
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1919-1941 (view all)
- What were the causes of the great depression?
- To what extent was the New Deal a success?
- DID THE WALL STREET CRASH CAUSE THE GREAT DEPRESSION
- The United States 1919-1941 - Roosevelt and the New Deal. W...
- "The roaring twenties were a good time for all American...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student