- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
"The lives of American women changed completely in the 1920s" - How much do you agree with this statement?
The first 200 words of this essay...
ï»¿"The lives of American women changed completely in the 1920s" - How much do you agree with this statement?
Women in the 1920s lives did change, but only for some women. In this essay I will be comparing the lives of different women and explaining how their lives may or may not have changed.
By the end of the 1920s, American society had changed beyond recognition in comparison with how it was before World War One. America had grown rich and the American people had reflected this in the way they spent their money. Entertainment took up much more of their time and generated a lot of money. Before the war, people had seen thriftiness as a virtue but in the 1920s people spent money even before they had earned it. Consumerism increased and with advertising became a great new industry. Women were no longer seen as just housewives and many new celebrities came out of Hollywood cinema and film.
Before World War One, many American women were expected to lead very dull, restricted lives. They were not expected to dress up, wear make-up or play sport. Relationships with men were not allowed to be
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1919-1941 (view all)
- New deal did it bring about the recovery of the American eco...
- In the 1920's America was the richest and most powerful coun...
- To what extent was America in the 1920's a 'Divided society'...
- 'The Devil's Decade' - How far do you agree with this assess...
- Did Roosevelt's upbringing, background and character make it...
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.