- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Long Fuse by Laurence Lafore - Chapter Three: The Europe of the Armed Camps.
The first 200 words of this essay...
November 28, 2003
The Long Fuse by Laurence Lafore
Chapter Three: The Europe of the Armed Camps
In its first stage, the dominance of Germany assured its stability. In its second stage in the 1880s, however, its prevalence was slightly diminished and problems overseas became more important and a period of instability and tension arose. The third stage in about 1905 German dominance was pretty much gone and issues outside of Europe were no longer as significant.
Some policies of Otto von Bismarck's diplomatic ideas remained even after his dismissal. Two such policies were his alliance with Austria and the revival of conservatism as a very powerful force.
Bismarck's diplomatic policies were based on necessity and the limitation of opportunities. The main needs were the security of Germany and international peace. His opportunities were limited most notably by the detachment of Britain; the anger and frailty of France; the conservatism, ambition, and monarchy of Russia; the weakness and confusion of Austria; and Italy trying to become a Great Power.
Germany was only really threatened by France, but even then, it would have to have been
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1900-1939 (view all)
- How harsh was the Treaty of Versailles? 1.Germans were very...
- What were the main points of the Treaty of Versailles? What ...
- The Effects of World War I on the USA.
- To what extent was the treaty of Versailles fair
- Explain how Moltke modified the Schlieffen Plan.
- Describe the Causes of WW1
- Was the Treaty of Versailles fair?
- "The League of Nations was doomed to fail from its crea...
- Why did war break out in 1914?
- Explain the Causes of World War One
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.