- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui - review.
The first 200 words of this essay...
A witty and savage satire on the rise to power of Adolf Hitler, The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui recasts him as small-time Chicago gangster, Arturo Ui, who bullies his way from mere control of the local Cauliflower Trust to take over the city's greengrocery trade.
This menacing parable, written by Bertolt Brecht in 1941 at the height of Nazi supremacy in Europe, captures the build-up to horrors that were to be unleashed by the Third Reich in the later years of the Second World War. From Hitler's beginnings as a political upstart, his appointment as German chancellor, the destruction of the Reichstag, the murder of Austria's chancellor and the conquest of central Europe, Arturo Ui recreates an atmosphere that is as deeply unsettling as it is darkly comic.
The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui was presented in the round in Fitzpatrick Hall and was entered for the Sunday Times National Student Drama Festival in Scarborough.
The world was almost won by such an ape!
The nations put him where his kind belong.
But don't rejoice too soon at your escape -
The womb he crawled from is still going strong.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Germany 1918-1939 (view all)
- Why was Hitler able to become chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- Treaty Of versailles
- Why did Hitler become Chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- Why were the Nazis successful in the elections in the 1930s?
- 'The Depression Was the Main Reason Why Hitler Was Able to B...
- "Popular support was the man support for Hitler becomin...
- What part did Hitler play in the Nazi parties rise to power?
- In January 1993, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. Explai...
- Were the people of Germany better off under the Nazi Party?
- Assess the role played by conservative elites in propelling ...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.