- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The SS (Schutzstaffel).
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE SS (Schutzstaffel)
In 1925 Adolf Hitler formed his own personal bodyguard called the Schutzstaffel (SS). Four years later Hitler appointed Heinrich Himmler as the leader of the SS. By the time of Himmler's appointment the SS had only 280 members. They wore the same uniform as the SA except for a black cap with a silver death's head badge and a black tie.
Over the next year Himmler obtained the independence of the SS from the Sturm Abteilung (SA). Sepp Dietrich was put in charge of Hitler's bodyguard whereas Himmler concentrated on building up the organization.
With the agreement of Adolf Hitler, Himmler expanded the size of the SS. Himmler personally vetted all applicants to make sure that all were good 'Aryan' types. In 1932 Himmler introduced all-black uniform of the SS.
By the time the Nazi Party gained power in 1933 Himmler's SS had grown to a strength of 52,000. He was also made head of all German political police outside Prussia, where Hermann Goering was the minister of the interior.
Himmler agreed with Goering that the Sturm Abteilung (SA) posed a threat to the German Army and in June 1934, along
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Germany 1918-1939 (view all)
- Treaty Of versailles
- The Holocaust or the "Final Solution".
- How were the Jews treated in 1933-1939 Germany?
- discrimination of jews in germany
- To what extent did the Nazis achieve an economic miracle in ...
- "Popular support was the man support for Hitler becomin...
- What part did Hitler play in the Nazi parties rise to power?
- In January 1993, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. Explai...
- Were the people of Germany better off under the Nazi Party?
- Assess the role played by conservative elites in propelling ...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student