- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
To what extent was the USA a Divided Union in the years 1941-1980?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question: to what extent was the USA a Divided Union in the years 1941-1980?
Politically the USA has always been a democracy, with an allowance for all political parties to express their opinions. But there have been times in the aforementioned decades from 1941-1980 where political beliefs, like socialism and communism have been feared in the government to such an extent that McCarthyism was allowed to become mainstream in the 1950's. This fear was so great that people were tried and prosecuted on false allegations, and that based on these lies most were sentenced to jail, and some were even killed, like the Rosenbergs. The Rosenbergs were nuclear scientists who during the Second World War, while the USA was allied with the USSR, gave some non-classified information to the Soviets. They were tried and executed in 1953. True, some of the accused were indeed communists, or had communist beliefs, but none of them had ever done anything to jeopardise the security of the USA, nor had the power to.
Also in the American political system there did not exist anyone to represent the minority blacks, as they did not have the power to vote until the 1965 Voting Rights
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1941-80 (view all)
- Thematic Essay
- Martin Luther King Speech Critique
- "The movement made Martin rather than Martin making the...
- Did life Improve for Black people after 1865? The Civil war ...
- The two stories "The Loons" by Margaret Laurence a...
- How far do representations 1 and 2 differ in their view of t...
- The Life of Martin Luther King. Jr
- Theories on the John F. Kennedy Assassination
- Who were the KKK and what did they do?
- The Treatment of African American Citizens in 1950
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.