- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Unification Movements - Italian unification
The first 200 words of this essay...
* After Napoleon, the Italian states were controlled by France.
* 1. They experienced the unity under the rule of an efficient government.
* 2. They felt that they disliked being ruled by foreign countries, therefore nationalist feeling was aroused.
* After the Congress of Vienna in 1815-16, they were divided into 8 states and the northern part of Italy was controlled by Austria-Hungary.
* Again, they disliked the alien rule and wanted to be independent. The nationalist movement began.
* In 1820-30s, the Carbonari was formed in Naples. They carried out a series of revolutions, but all of them failed because they lacked organization and mass support. There was also no capable leader.
* In 1831, Mazzini formed the Society of Young Italy (it was more popular). He believed that the revolutions failed because the people in the Italian states had no strong nationalism. Therefore he spread nationalism throughout Italy.
* Mazzini wanted to set up the Republic of Italy to unify Italy into one country and planned to revolt. He planned to attack Piedmont (the strongest, independent Italian
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1900-1939 (view all)
- To what extent was the Treaty of Versailles fair to Germany?
- Were the peace treaties of 1919 - 1923 fair?
- Why was the Treaty of Versailles so in Germany?
- How far was the policy of appeasement the most important cau...
- Why Did The First World War Break Out in 1914?
- Describe the Causes of WW1
- Was the Treaty of Versailles fair?
- "The League of Nations was doomed to fail from its crea...
- Why did war break out in 1914?
- Explain the Causes of World War One
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.