- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Was WWII Inevitable?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Was WWII inevitable? If so, why and when?
If not, when and how could it have been avoided?
World War II was inevitable for a multitude of reasons. The foremost reason was the existence of three respective, powerful aggressor states (Germany, Italy, and Japan) with imperial and ideological ambitions that would not hesitate to use force to achieve their goals. Germany lost much of its territory and was subject to numerous military and legal restrictions as a result of the Versailles Treaty imposed on them by the victors of the First World War. Germany's leader at the time, Adolf Hitler, viewed the treaty with contempt - as a humiliation of German national pride. British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain signed the Munich Pact with Hitler in 1938, conceding part of Czechoslovakia to Germany. This policy of appeasement not only was ineffective in deterring further Nazi aggression - it encouraged it. According to Nye (2008), "he [Prime Minister Chamberlain] did not think Czechoslovakia was worth war and he knew Britain was not ready for war." (p. 101) Columbia University political science professor and author Robert Jervis (1978) cited British General Chief of Staff during the war
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1900-1939 (view all)
- Why Did The First World War Break Out in 1914?
- To what extent was the Treaty of Versailles fair to Germany?
- Was The Treaty Of Versailles Justified?
- Why did WW1 break out in 1914?
- How justified were the German objections to the Versailles T...
- The League of Nations: Its achievements and its failures
- Describe the Causes of WW1
- Was the Treaty of Versailles fair?
- "The League of Nations was doomed to fail from its crea...
- Why did war break out in 1914?
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.