- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why America didn't join the league of nations.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why America didn't join the league
Although the League of Nations was much of the work of President Woodrow Wilson America never joined the League of Nations. This was for several reasons, firstly America had suffered casualties in the war, and many people in the USA wanted to keep America out of European affairs. This policy was called isolationism. Joining the league meant that this might involve having to do things that might set back the economy or damage America otherwise. America had had enough of wars and dealing with other countries problems. They also had little or no support for British or French policies or the Treaty of Versailles, which they refused to accept. So although when the League was actually being formed Woodrow Wilson still backed America joining it, by this time and, despite Wilson, America never joined the League.
The League of Nations in the 1930s
The Disarmament Conference in Geneva 1930-1932 failed.
Germany was angry that no other nations were forced to disarm and withdrew from the conference. Countries were expanding their military because of the Depression. There was no trust between countries. The world was not a safe place in
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International relations 1900-1939 (view all)
- To what extent was the Treaty of Versailles fair to Germany?
- Why did the Germans hate the treaty of Versailles?
- increasing tension in europe between 1900 and 1914
- Why Did The First World War Break Out in 1914?
- How far was the policy of appeasement the most important cau...
- Was the policy of appeasement justified?
- Was Field Marshall Douglas Haig more important that the alli...
- World War 1 - the main cause
- The League of Nations: Its achievements and its failures
- Describe the Causes of WW1
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student