- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Why did Lloyd George win the election in 1918?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why did Lloyd George win the 1918 election?
There were several reasons why Lloyd George won the general election in 1918, such as his personal popularity, the success of the wartime coalition government in winning the War, the increased number of people voting and David Lloyd George's decisions and promises made during the election campaign.
Lloyd George's personal popularity was mainly based on his achievement of leading the country successfully through the Great War after the collapse of the Asquith government. Although a Liberal himself, Lloyd George became the head of a coalition government of mainly Unionists (or Conservatives) with Liberals and Labour support. He was increasingly seen as having the necessary energy and drive to achieve victory, becoming known as the 'man who won the war'.
Because of the success of that coalition as an example of national unity, Lloyd George wanted to keep it together in peacetime and even extend it. He asked Labour to remain a partner and invited Asquith to join him as Lord Chancellor, which would have reunited the Liberals; both approaches were rejected. Lloyd George and Andrew Bonar Law, the Conservative leader, reached an agreement to safeguard the seats
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History Projects (view all)
- The soviet union was to blame for the Cold War.
- How and why has Windsor Castle developed since 1080?
- Why Did They Build The Berlin Wall In 1961?
- Speech on Christopher Columbus
- Describe the political, social and religious situation of Pa...
- A comparison of the how the source booklet provided and my ...
- How reliable is Jonathan Coad's description of Dover Castle ...
- How important is Dover Castle's location? Also take into acc...
- An Estate Agent's Guide To A Roman Villa
- The causes for the decline and fall of the Roman Empire
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.