- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why was Hitler able to dominate Germany by 1934?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Coursework, key Question 1: 'Why was Hitler able to dominate Germany by 1934?'
Exercise 1[i]: Hitler's rise to power
a. Explain the nature and purpose of the S. A. before 1933
The S. A. was, essentially, the private army of the NSDAP. During the years of endemic violence in Germany after its defeat in the First World War until 1925, and again after 1930, after the prosperity brought by the Young plan evaporated with the Wall Street Crash of October 1929, such private armies were commonplace, and indeed necessary. Many members of the S. A. had come out of the defeated German army, and were in effect mercenary thugs. The principal attraction of the S. A. to many of its members was not the political ideology of the party for which it worked (although a great many of them were probably Nazi sympathizers), but rather its pomp, regalia and display (the S. A. wore the uniform of the defeated German army, evoking patriotic spirit among both its members and the general public), which were used to great effect to boost party membership (indeed, this was one of the main aims of the S. A.) and to attract
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Germany 1918-1939 (view all)
- Why was Hitler able to become chancellor of Germany in 1933?
- The weak Weimar government was a major factor in Hitler rise...
- "The most important reason why there was little opposit...
- Why did Britain go to war in 1939?
- To what extent was the SS a "state within a state"...
- "Popular support was the man support for Hitler becomin...
- What part did Hitler play in the Nazi parties rise to power?
- In January 1993, Hitler became Chancellor of Germany. Explai...
- Were the people of Germany better off under the Nazi Party?
- Assess the role played by conservative elites in propelling ...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.