- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why was prohibition introduced
Are you in the right place?
Jump to History and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.WHY WAS PROHIBITION INTRODUCED?
Prohibition was introduced in America because of many reasons;
Many Americans especially women and many religious groups, (e.g. Puritans, who prided themselves on being "simple and clean living folk") saw alcohol as a threat to society, Women believed they were oppressed through alcohol because their husbands (the wage earners) were spending housekeeping money on drink and coming home drunk and were more likely to act violently towards their wives and children. Women felt especially helpless because in the 1890's men and women had very traditional roles, Men went out to work and women stayed home and looked after the house and children which meant if men wasted their wages on drink the family would suffer. These circumstances led to the formation of The Women's Christian Temperance Movement (founded in 1893) which claimed
"That alcohol was the work of the Devil".
Another group (made up of both men and women) formed the Anti -Saloon League (ASL) .The Anti Saloon League was founded in 1893 and argued that
"Alcohol made workers less efficient and led to absenteeism" which is why Henry Ford (owner
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
USA 1919-1941 (view all)
- How far did the Republican Policies contribute to the US eco...
- Why did the American Economy Boom in the 1920's?
- To what extent were the 1920s “roaring”?
- DID THE WALL STREET CRASH CAUSE THE GREAT DEPRESSION
- Why Did Roosevelt Defeat Hoover In the 1932 Presidential Ele...
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.