Advantages & disadvantages of ICT
Extracts from this essay...
Acknowledgements: This report has been done with the help of my teacher, friend & obviously with the help of ICT* (Internet). I researched through the Internet & found many helpful sites to complete my report. Search engines such as www.google.com has helped me to find the relevant sites for my report. I used some information from http://www.thekjs.essex.sch.uk/yates/it08_-_9.htm to complete my report. There are also some other sites from which the information has been taken. I have also acquired* some information from the PC World magazine to learn about the different soft wares that are used in world of manufacturing. Contents page Summary: In this report I found out the uses, advantages & disadvantages of ICT. They are listed below in their respective categories. I mainly concentrated on the Manufacturing* section where the ICT is used extensively. I have found the different ways in which the Industries work now days. ICT has improved the communication technology the way the different companies interact with each other & with their respected customers. ICT has brought the World to its feet. There is no place where ICT is never used or not being used. I have found vast amount of information with the help of ICT to complete my report. I have found how companies use ICT to manufacture the products in bulk with less effort & time waste. The accuracy of each product made is exactly the way it was designed on the computer. I have discovered some soft wares, which help in the design of the product & also manufacture them automatically. These are CAD/CAM* soft wares. I have concluded my report by saying that ICT has revolutionised the Manufacturing sector. Terms of reference: This report I for the portfolio Unit 12 of the GNVQ course following the criteria laid down by OCR. The deadline given to me for completing this report was 31/01/2003 & I have managed to stick to that deadline.
Communication system has been improved due to ICT's far better technology. Now a days everything can be done through the help of ICT from anywhere in the world even through a person's own house. Advantages: ICT has proved to be far more advantageous than disadvantageous. It has totally revolutionised* the human life. It has made a drastic change in the way we see things now a days. This technology is fast & easy to use when learnt fully how to use. Everything is now revolutionised * on ICT as it makes it easier to manage things. Now there are more machines than about fifty years ago. The produce is immense & accurate. Communication facilities introduced by ICT have changed the people interact now days. These facilities are fast & can be accessed & used from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world. This include- Email: e.g. MS Outlook, Eudora (online/offline mailers) Yahoo Mail, Hotmail (online mailers - web based) * User can send text messages anywhere in the world very quickly * Can attach files * Can CC or BCC messages * Can keep an address book * Can create a mail filter * Can create mailboxes * Can subscribe to mailing lists * Can create a "signature file" Telephone: Instant chat over the phone to anyone around the world. Internet (E-Commerce): Open 24/7 · By asking customers to "register", businesses can build up databases/customer profiles · People can shop without leaving home · People can search massive online databases to find exactly what they want (see the case study below) · A site such as Amazon has reviews of books, CDs and video games. You can read what other people thought of the product before you buy. · Amazon allows customers to listen to a sample of each track on the CD before they decide to buy · Businesses have fewer overheads and these savings should be passed on to the customer.
* All kinds of content will move easily through the Internet. Future mobiles: * These mobiles would be equipped with the GPS (Geographical Positioning System) * These may also have your Passport on it. The Blue tooth technology would be used to send images, movies, data & etc through your mobile anywhere in the world. These developments of ICT can come into action in few years time. Glossary: 1. ICT: Information& Communication Technology 2. Acquired: To obtain (something) 3. Manufacturing: To produce (goods) in large numbers, esp. in a factory using machines. 4. CAD/CAM: Computer Aided Design/ Computer Aided Manufacturing 5. Interact: to communicate with or react to (each other) 6. Criteria: a fact or standard by which you judge, decide about or deal with something 7. Expertise: (a person) having a high level of knowledge or skill; (a) specialist 8. Flexible: able to change or be changed easily according to the situation 9. World Wide Web: access millions of websites. 10. Global Warming: is a gradual increase in temperature caused by gases collecting in the air and other gases surrounding the Earth, which prevents heat escaping into space. 11. Chlorofluorocarbons: a type of chemical which is used for cooling air, as a cleaning liquid, for producing plastic foam, and for pushing out small drops of liquid from some types of can. There are various types of chlorofluorocarbon. 12. Contemporary: existing or happening now; 13. Substantially: to a large degree 14. Conferencing: an event, sometimes lasting a few days, at which there are a group of talks on a particular subject, or a meeting in which esp. business matters are discussed formally 15. Integral: necessary and important as a part of, or contained within, a whole 16. Revolutionised: completely new and likely to have a great effect 17. Data: information, esp. facts or numbers, collected for examination and consideration and used to help decision-making, or information in an electronic form that can be stored and processed by a computer Name: Jackson G Thompson Centre no: 57345 Candidate no: 8018 Centre Name: St. Benedict's Jackson Page 1 28/04/2007
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Over 180,000 student essays
- Every subject and level covered
- Thousands of essays marked by teachers