- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Consider the following applications of ICT as used at a checkout in a large modern supermarket of the 90's.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Applications & Effects
Consider the following applications of ICT as used at a checkout in a large modern supermarket of the 90's:
* Each item is swiped over a bar code reader. The bar code is printed on the packaging by the manufacturer.
* The computer looks up the current price listed against the bar code in a database.
* Discounts or loyalty credits are taken care of.
* The prices for all items are added up to provide a total - usually shown on a digital display.
* The customer's debit card is scanned and the money is automatically transferred from the customer's bank account to the supermarket's account. If real cash is used then the correct amount of change is calculated.
* An itemised receipt is printed.
* Each item is automatically reordered from the warehouse via cable and made ready for the next delivery.
* At a later stage various charts can be easily produced to compare monthly sales, calculate profits, etc.
This is how it was done in the 70's and is still done in small shops
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
ICT Systems and Application (view all)
- Mayhem Manor Project - ICT
- Evaluation of my ICT Database, Spreadsheet and Newsletter
- The impact of ICT on the local community. I live in the boro...
- Analysing Qualitative Interviews
- Explain the difference between primary and secondary sources...
- Safe working pratices when using ICT in a business environme...
- Analysis of ICT task for a hairdresser's booking system.
- ICT Specification for a spreadsheet for the Hairdressing bus...
- Outlin of an ICT project for a hairdressing business.
- Identify the Information Systems used by Tescos.
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.