Uses of ICT.
Extracts from this essay...
- Contents - - Chapter 1 - 3 Uses of ICT at Home 3 Internet 3 E-mail 4 Computers 4 Mobile phones 4 Telephones 5 Fax machines 5 Radio 5 Satellite, cable and digital ... 6 Electronic organisers and pagers 6 - Chapter 2 - 7 Uses of ICT at School 7 Internet 7 Computers 7 Smart boards 8 Telephones 8 Information technology system 8 Fire alarms 9 - Chapter 3 - 10 Uses of ICT in by an Adult in Employment and Businesses. 10 Fax machines 10 Computers 10 E-mail 10 Internet 11 Telephones 11 Mobile phones 11 Electronic organisers and pagers 12 Photocopiers 12 - Chapter 4 - 13 Use of ICT by a Person Special Needs. 13 Touch screen 13 Magnifiers and voice typing and reading 13 Sound enhancers and hearing aids 14 - Chapter 5 - 15 Uses of ICT by the Local Community. 15 Internet 15 Chat rooms. 15 Public transport and travel information 15 GPS 16 - Chapter 1 - Uses of ICT at Home ICT technologies used at home are things like;- " the internet, " e-mail, " computers, " mobile phones, " telephones, " fax machines, " radio, " satellite, cable and digital, " electronic organisers and pagers Internet; - used for searching information, buying online, banking online, communicating with people via chat rooms, messengers such as MSN, AIM and Yahoo. Also used for booking holidays, checking travel times. I use the internet for searching information for homework, communicating with friends and family via messenger and e-mail. Also for checking times for leisure facilities such as cinema listings and times, television programme schedules. The advantages of the internet are buying online can be cheaper in most cases. It contains a vast amount of easily accessible information which can be obtained for free. It doesn't require leaving the house. Broadband is tens times as fast as a normal 56K modem connection.
Disadvantages are that it takes a while to set up and make sure that the board is in co-ordination with the computers and points where it is touched. We use a smart board in out IT lessons to show easily to a large group how to carry out tasks on the computer and how to use features in programs. Telephones; - are used to communicate from the school to the student's parents and other companies. The phones are used by the receptions to call out to parents if a child is absent they can check up by calling the parents to see why there aren't in school. Advantages of phones are that they are fast and easy to use. They are personal conversations. Disadvantages are that the person won't always answer the phone and so you can't always get through. Information technology system; - is used to provide information to people through a television screen. It can be used to show slide shows and other presentations to people watching. Advantages are that. . . Disadvantages are that. . . We use our information technology system through a television in the social area and it plays Power point presentations on the screen for the students to watch. Fire alarms; - fire alarms in school are used to detect a fire that may be occurring in the school. They can also be manually set of, by breaking the glass. In out cases alarms are set up to automatically call out the fire brigade to the situation. Schools carry out many fire drills so that pupils know what actions to take and where to go in the case of an actual fire. The fire service is always contacted before so that unnecessary call outs aren't made. - Chapter 3 - Uses of ICT in by an Adult in Employment and Businesses. ICT technologies used at businesses are things like;- " fax machines, " computers, " e-mail, " the internet/intranet " telephones, " mobile phones, " electronic organisers and pagers, " photocopiers, Fax machines; - are very popular in businesses.
In addition it can be used to renew books, pay fines and make reservations. High speed Internet/Telephone kiosk points located in many train/bus stations and hotels can be used to gain access to web-services, check and send e-mails. They can be used by inserting phone cards/coins. The advantages of this are that the internet is being used by more people and more information can be easily and quickly accessed. Disadvantages are that not all people have easy access to the internet. Chat rooms; - are where you can chat to people through the internet whether it be friends or family, by typing messages to each other either through a chat room screen or through an IM (instant message). Advantages of this are that people can keep in touch and chat to people from anywhere in the world easy and fast. Disadvantages are that they are not personal and you may not always know who you are chatting to. People can lie about their identity. Public transport and travel information; - is now available from web-sites which cover all aspects of your travel needs. They include rail information, National Express Bus information, plane bookings, Underground connections, water taxi, cross-channel ferry crossings and Eurostar train travel. Advantages of these are that you can fast and easily access travel information for faster and safer journeys. Disadvantages are that If the site is down you cannot access the information and may have to find alternative ways. GPS; - stands for Global Positioning Systems and is a worldwide system of satellites and their ground stations which are used for identifying earth locations. They are owned and used by the United State Department of Defence. By triangulation of signals from three of the satellites, a receiving unit can pinpoint its current location anywhere in the world to within a few metres. Advantages are that they can easily locate anything in the world. Disadvantages are that they are not very economical but GPS receivers have been miniaturised to just a few integrated circuits and so are now more economic Fiona Hibbard Unit 3 - ICT Coursework - 1 -
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Over 180,000 student essays
- Every subject and level covered
- Thousands of essays marked by teachers