- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Compare the readability of articles from two newspapers - a tabloid and a broadsheet
The first 200 words of this essay...
For this assignment I was asked to compare the readability of articles from two newspapers: a tabloid; and a broadsheet. I selected four pairs of articles and each pair had to cover the same story. I selected 'The Sun' and 'The Independent' as my two newspapers.
I predicted that the tabloid articles would be easier to read as I believe they would contain shorter words which more people would understand.
To evaluate the readability I compared words from four articles from each newspaper. I selected four articles from the broadsheet then found an article in the tabloid for each that covered the same story.
From each article I selected thirty words using the following method:
From each paragraph, words were selected in multiple of five. The first word selected was the fifth, the second word the tenth, the third word the fifteenth and so on.
The following paragraphs show the results I obtained for each article pair. For each article I have provided a tally chart of word lengths, a graph showing a comparison between the pair of articles and any observations I made.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Comparing length of words in newspapers (view all)
- Effects of acid rain in germination and growth of mustard se...
- Consumer responses to wine bottle back labels
- Comparing magazines and newspapers.
- Compare and Contrast Features Of Two Used Software Applicati...
- The aim of the experiment was to see if people's attention i...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo