HYPOTHESIS Blonde girls are more intelligent than non blonde girls. Blonde girls that have a higher IQ watch comparatively less television. This will not be the case however for non blondes as there will be little or no correlation.
Extracts from this document...
GCSE Statistics Project DATABASE I am going to use the Mayfield High School Database which is secondary data for my investigation. HYPOTHESIS * Blonde girls are more intelligent than non blonde girls. * Blonde girls that have a higher IQ watch comparatively less television. This will not be the case however for non blondes as there will be little or no correlation. * The IQs for non blonde girls and blonde girls are normally distributed. PLAN FOR DATA COLLECTION I shall collect data the relevant data to my hypothesis first separating by Gender and then gathering relevant information on IQ, Hair Colour and Number of Hours of Television viewed. I shall use a sample size of 50 blonde girls and 50 non blonde girls as I feel that a sample size of 100 offers a good proportion to analyse being that there are roughly 1,182 entrants in the database. Also 100 is a good round even number which will make calculations of the data easier. I will use stratified sampling so that a there is not a disproportionate number of any particular group and so that the different year groups are properly represented. I shall then begin on my first hypothesis - Blonde girls are more intelligent than non blonde girls. To investigate this hypothesis I need to present and analyse the two sets of data using various graphs and calculations. As I am dealing with 2 ranges of values which are not related I will need to use relevant techniques to demonstrate and investigate, in terms of the whole groups, which hair type is more intelligent than the other.
* Baby blonde * Blonde * Blonde/ Brown * Brown/ Blonde * Browny Blonde * Dark Blonde * Darke Blonde * Honey Blonde * Strawberry Blonde I have chosen to include spelling errors to some extent as it is clear as to what the participant intended and miss spelling doesn't change what hair colour they have. * HYPOTHESIS 1 - Blonde girls are more intelligent than non blonde girls. From the above graph we can see that the Non Blonde IQ Range Box plot has a considerably longer range than the Blonde Girls Equivalent. We can see that the range drops to around 10, an unrealistically low IQ. Therefore I applied the IQR method to determine if this is an outlier as well as to determine if any others are which could effect my results... IQR method (Blonde Girls): Range 43 Lower Quartile: 96.5 Median: 101 Upper Quartile: 106.25 Therefore: The IQR = Q3 (Upper Quartile)-Q1 (Lower Quartile) = IQR = 106.25-96.5 = 9.75 x 1.5 = 14.625 Every value within Median (+/- 14.625) is not an outlier. Therefore: 101-14.625 = 86.375 101+14.625 = 115.625 Therefore: The Range that are not mathematical outliers are: From 86 to 116 (rounded to whole numbers) Outliers: 74 IQR method (Non Blonde Girls): Range, x: 121 Lower Quartile: 94 Median: 100 Upper Quartile: 110 Therefore: The IQR = Q3 (Upper Quartile)-Q1 (Lower Quartile) = IQR = 110-94 = 16 Every value within Median (+/-16) is not an outlier. Therefore 94-16 = 78 110+16= 126 Therefore the range that are not mathematic outliers are from 78 to 126 Outliers: 11, 72, 132 I will remove these outliers from my sample as my Hypothesis deals with IQ generally.
Also some of the data is not even in some of the 3rd Standard deviations of the mean making it impossible for the data to be normally distributed. This means that my Hypothesis was wrong. CONCLUSION HYPOTHESIS 1 - Blonde girls are more intelligent than non blonde girls. I found that Blonde girls have the higher range (rather than Non Blondes who have the biggest). Blonde girls also have a larger amount of values in the middle 50% in the IQ range but Non Blondes in terms of the higher rung so to speak out perform them. However non Blondes also under perform at the lower end of the scale. This means that although Blonde girls are more consistent with their IQ it is impossible to determine which set of data is more intelligent because my hypothesis is a general statement. However the mean, as crude as it is shows that the average Blonde is more intelligent than the average Non Blonde and therefore I would agree with my Hypothesis in that Blondes (only on average) are more intelligent than Non Blondes. HYPOTHESIS 2 - Blonde girls that have a higher IQ watch comparatively less television. This will not be the case however for non blondes as there will be little or no correlation. I found here that there was a very weak correlation with Blonde IQ vs TV scatter graphs but unlike my hypothesis it seemed that more intelligent people watched more TV. There was also, (in my opinion) no correlation between the Non Blonde IQ vs TV scatter graphs. I therefore (although the correlation is a weak one) have disproved my hypothesis and have come to the conclusion that: More intelligent Blondes watch more television but there is no correlation with Non Blondes.
This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE IQ Correlation section.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- 150,000+ documents available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month