- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Read All About It
- Essay length: 3589 words
- Submitted: 03/06/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
Read All About It
Suresh is comparing magazines and newspapers.
He chooses a passage from one newspaper and one magazine. They each contain 100 words and he counts the lengths of all the words.
Suresh then says that the magazine has the shortest words.
Write a hypothesis about the length of words in newspapers and magazines.
Design and carry out an investigation to test your hypothesis.
Suresh's hypothesis seemed to me at first to sound quite correct, that words in magazines would be shorter than those in newspapers. But then I realised that this was taking for granted that the newspaper would in a way be more 'serious' than a magazine, as my first thoughts on a magazine were those that wrote about celebrities and contained a lot of photographs. However, I do not think that this generalisation would hold with all magazines and newspapers, for instance, if I was to compare a magazine such as "Sight and Sound" which is a magazine about films, but one that examines films in quite an in-depth way, having interviews and articles on 'art-house' films for instance - with a newspaper
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Comparing length of words in newspapers (view all)
- Language of Speech - In this essay I will analyse the speech...
- Investigate, for different size pool tables, the number of c...
- Differences between a broadsheet newspaper, such as the Dail...
- An Investigation into the Stroop Effect using words and shap...
- A Project comparing two different newspaper articles and the...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.