- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What Is Anorexia? What Is Bulimia? How Are the Two Similare, If They Are, and How Do They Differ?
The first 200 words of this essay...
WHAT IS ANOREXIA? WHAT IS BULIMIA? HOW ARE THE TWO SIMILARE, IF THEY ARE, AND HOW DO THEY DIFFER?
In this essay similarities and the differences between anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa are considered. Similarities in the explanations of the two eating disorders are discussed through psychodynamic, behavioural, genetic and biochemical explanations.
Anorexia nervosa is a complex emotional problem characterized by an obsession with food, weight, and thinness. Victims actually starve themselves, eating fewer calories than their bodies need to function.
According to the current diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM-IV), a woman is suffering from clinical anorexia, not just dieting or fasting, when her weight has fallen to 15% below the normal range and she has not menstruated for at least three months. Sometimes the diagnosis is made because of drowsiness and lethargy that are affecting her work. Other symptoms are dry skin, brittle nails and hair, lanugo (fine downy hair on the limbs), constipation, anemia, and swollen joints. The level of female hormones in the blood of an anorectic woman falls drastically, and her sexual development may be delayed. Her heart rate and blood pressure can become dangerously low, and loss of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Height and Weight of Pupils and other Mayfield High School investigations (view all)
- The relationship between height and weight amongst different...
- Aluminium as used in Aircraft.
- Liquid chromatography is a technique used to separate compon...
- Investigating the Speed of a Marble Rolling Down a Variable...
- Experiment to Investigate the Relationship between the Braki...
- Testing 3 Hypotheses on Pupils Height and Weight.
- Statistics GCSE Coursework. Height and weight of pupils. Th...
- I am going to find out the year 10 male average student at W...
- Height and Weight of Pupils
- Statistics coursework Edexcell
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.