- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Assess the pluralist view of the mass media Pluralism is the belief that power is spread widely throughout the world
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Media Studies and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Hannah West 6ERW
Using Material from Item 3b and elsewhere, assess the pluralist view of the mass media
Pluralism is the belief that power is spread widely throughout the world. It is a belief that companies or powerful groups are competing, but within boundaries of consensus and compromise. The idea of pluralism descends from functionalism. Functionalism is the view that society is structured; every institution in society fulfils certain roles and functions. If there was a disruption in one of these institutions then it could affect the stability of society as a whole. Functionalists believe that if something didn't serve a purpose then it would not exist.
The pluralist view of the mass media is based on this simple belief. Pluralists believe that the reason some newspapers or other forms of media seem biased is because they "simply respond to demand." The public has the buying power and the media are simply trying to appeal to this. If they begin to put forward their own opinions or beliefs about certain issues, then they are only appealing to the people who share these ideas. If these ideas are extremely controversial then a very limited amount
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Audience and Production Analysis (view all)
- Soap Opera Outline
- Analyse the cover of Sugar magazine.
- Media Studies Representation Essay
- Media Studies Suporting Account For Fitness Magazine
- How Does The Director Tim Burton Convey The Alienation Of Ed...
- How does the director of Mission Impossible 2 build intrigue...
- Music Promotion. I am going to analyse a MySpace page of th...
- Why "Jersey Shore" is Good for Us
- Tim Burtons spin on Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland is a ...
- How to write an Enterprise news story - New Restaurant Opens
- Truman Show essay . Analyse how visual techniques are used t...
- Analyse an advertisement and discuss the imagery it contains...
- "The mass media today is part of everyday life" Us...
- Comparison of two newspaper articles. The two articles I ha...
- How the film Shrek parodies the traditional Disney fairytale
""Zoey. University Student.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.