- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Espedair Street by Iain Banks.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Personal Studies Essay - Espedair Street by Iain Banks
"Two days ago I decided to kill myself." This extreme quotation is the opening line in the novel 'Espedair Street' by the Scottish novelist, Iain Banks. The book is based around the life of a famous rockstar and, due to the first person narrative, gives an in-depth insight into the troubles and joys, before, during and after his reign of fame. I originally selected this text because I found the blurb very intriguing and thought the modern humorous storyline would appeal to me. I later discovered that the story was set primarily in the south west of Scotland, so I found it enjoyable to be able to relate to the various locations and the colloquial dialect used by the characters.
In this essay I am going to highlight the techniques that Banks has used, to give a deeper meaning into the quite conventional storyline. I have chosen to concentrate on the narrative structure developed in the novel, the setting and the characterisation of the main character. I will also indicate the ways that these techniques affect the presentation of the theme throughout the text.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Narrative (view all)
- Persuasive Writing: Charity Appeal Letters.
- Horror trailer evaluation.
- Analysis of 'Blinking Hell', a Sight Savers International Ca...
- How is the Media Regulated - OfCom
- How has James Cameron adapted and presented the true story o...
- Pleasantville is a fantasy comedy-drama film written, produc...
- In this movie Wall-E people have become so dependent on tech...
- Explore the ways Shrek and the Practical Princess subvert St...
- Analysis of the film "We Need To Talk About Kevin"...
- The Influence of Ganster Films such as New Jack City and Men...
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Zoey. University Student.