- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
who is 2 blame
- Essay length: 4992 words
- Submitted: 24/12/2006
The first 200 words of this essay...
By definition, all media texts are re-presentations of reality. This means that they are intentionally composed, lit, written, framed, cropped, captioned, branded, targeted and censored by their producers, and that they are entirely artificial versions of the reality we perceive around us. When studying the media it is vital to remember this - every media form, from a home video to a glossy magazine, is a representation of someone's concept of existence, codified into a series of signs and symbols which can be read by an audience. However, it is important to note that without the media, our perception of reality would be very limited, and that we, as an audience, need these artificial texts to mediate our view of the world, in other words we need the media to make sense of reality. Therefore representation is a fluid, two-way process: producers position a text somewhere in relation to reality and audiences assess a text on its relationship to reality.
Extension/Restriction of Experience of Reality
By giving audiences information, media texts extend experience of reality. Every time you see a wildlife documentary, or read about political events in a country on the other side of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Narrative (view all)
- Troy - summary of the plot of the film.
- The Camera Never Lies
- How is the Media Regulated - OfCom
- "The Perfect Murder" by Renate Yates and "The...
- Compare and Contrast a Broadsheet Newspaper with a Tabloid. ...
- Pleasantville is a fantasy comedy-drama film written, produc...
- In this movie Wall-E people have become so dependent on tech...
- Explore the ways Shrek and the Practical Princess subvert St...
- Analysis of the film "We Need To Talk About Kevin"...
- The Influence of Ganster Films such as New Jack City and Men...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.