- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Women in Soap Operas
The first 200 words of this essay...
Deconstruction of a Soap Opera
This deconstruction will focus on the representation of women in soap operas. This includes how they are represented in comparison with other groups of characters and how the audience should react to these women. The soap opera which has been used as the main study for this deconstruction is a British soap called Eastenders. This is usually aired in the evenings to a working-class audience. The main female characters, who appeared in the studied episode, will be listed and it will be shown how and why these women are represented in this way.
A strong female character is considered as a dominant woman who inspires or has a very strong connection with her audience, which makes the audience admire or support her or feel the opposite way. Many strong female characters are not intended to only appeal to women. They may be role models for females with freedom of expression and freewill, breaking the stereotype of the housewife. Seeing such an empowered character may interest men alike. When soaps first began, they were very popular with women because for the first time, women had strong role models on television. Christine Geraghty argued that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Audience and Production Analysis (view all)
- Media Music Video Analysis Example - Coffee & TV
- Is the media too powerful?
- Explore how far the representation of gender in Q magazine c...
- The Big Bang Theory
- Radio as a Form of Media
- How does the director of Mission Impossible 2 build intrigue...
- Music Promotion. I am going to analyse a MySpace page of th...
- Why "Jersey Shore" is Good for Us
- Tim Burtons spin on Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland is a ...
- How to write an Enterprise news story - New Restaurant Opens
- Truman Show essay . Analyse how visual techniques are used t...
- Analyse an advertisement and discuss the imagery it contains...
- "The mass media today is part of everyday life" Us...
- Comparison of two newspaper articles. The two articles I ha...
- How the film Shrek parodies the traditional Disney fairytale
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo