- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Antonin Leopold Dvorak - biography & summary of his work
The first 200 words of this essay...
ANTONIN LEOPOLD DVORAK
Born: Muhlhausen, Sept. 8, 1841
Died: Prague, May 1, 1904
Occupation: violist, organist
Born in a Bohemian village about fifty miles north of Prague, Dvorák was the son of the local butcher and innkeeper. He learned to play the violin as a small boy and was a chorister in the local church. When he reached the age of twelve he was sent to the neighbouring village of Zlonice to learn German and to study piano, viola, organ and harmony under Antonin Liehmann.
In 1857, when he was only sixteen, Dvorák went to Prague to study at the organ school there. While there he give in to the magic of Wagner and Smetana. He spent most of the 1860's as an orchestral player, first in a small band and then in the Czech National Opera Orchestra, conducted by Bedrich Smetana. All during this time he composed furiously but did not publish any of it. In fact, he burned most of his works.
It was only in the early 1870's that recognition started to come to Dvorák. In 1873 he left the Opera Orchestra to become the organist
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- Music Composition Brief
- Comparing Different Musical Pieces
- Composition Brief and Appraisal
- Throughout his life, Billy Collins has written many poems an...
- BTEC First Certificate in Music - UNIT 9 (Audio Recording/Mi...
- Music Assignment - Who are you? The song that I feel best r...
- Handels Messiah Background information for set work
- Rock And Roll - analysis of the different styles of Rock.
- How music has a huge effect on teen's lives
- Evaluation Of Performance - In the performance I played in 1...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.