- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The famous person i most admire - Legendary jazz vocalist Billie Holiday
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE FAMOUS FIGURE I MOST ADMIRE...
English GCSE speech/presentation
Legendary jazz vocalist Billie Holiday was born Eleanora Fagan Cough in 1915 Baltimore, the direct descendant of a slave (her grandmother) and a plantation owner (her grandfather). Born to a 13-year-old mother and a father who abandoned the family shortly after she was born, her childhood was far from stable. After being raped when she was 10, she was abandoned by her mother, and left to live with uncaring relatives. To support herself she began running errands and scrubbing floors in a brothel - it was there that she first heard jazz, scratchy recordings of Louis Armstrong and Bessie Smith played on the house phonograph. At age 12 she moved to New York, where she became trapped in the brutal and bitter world of prostitution. By 1930 she had convinced a club owner to let her sing on an open mic night, taking the stage name Billie Holiday from the name of film star she admired, Billie Dove. After being discovered by musical genius John Hammond, Holiday was introduced to the producer Benny Goodman, who assisted her with her first recording session in 1933; over the next 11 years
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Music (view all)
- Autobiography - creative writing.
- Thesis Statement: Specifically, I will enlighten you on the ...
- Mes vaccances
- Media Music Essay Music is split into several sub-genres the...
- Identify ONE teaching and learning issue, with a curriculum ...
- Music Assignment - Who are you? The song that I feel best r...
- Handels Messiah Background information for set work
- Rock And Roll - analysis of the different styles of Rock.
- How music has a huge effect on teen's lives
- Evaluation Of Performance - In the performance I played in 1...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.