- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Assess the Impact of the First World War on British Politics by 1918.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Assess the Impact of the First World War on British Politics by 1918
When the First World War broke out the Liberal party, with Asquith as their leader was in power and at the driving seat of British politics. By the end of the war the party had split and ultimately died. The Conservatives on the other hand were revitalised by the war, and came out as the leading party in British politics. Labour were given time to develop, eventually meaning they would replace the Liberals as one of the two main political powers. While the Representation of the People Act (coming right after the end of the war) gave millions more people the franchise. The Great War was to vastly change British politics.
The war had a different impact on each political party and to assess the overall impact of the war on British politics we have to look at the impact it had on the individual parties.
Although it can be argued that at the outbreak of war the Liberal government were already in decline, the war heralded their death. Many historians believe that at the outbreak of the war the Liberals had
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Politics (view all)
- The Voting Age Should Be Lowered to 16.
- How Democratic is the UK?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of First Past the Post System.
- How effective was the response of Lord Liverpool's governmen...
- Evaluate strengths and weaknesses of various voting systems ...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.