- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Politics and Power notes on the UK system
The first 200 words of this essay...
Politics and Power
As majority of people don't understand the actual meaning of politics they have a negative view on it. By adopting a narrow view on politics we believe politics to be about elections, political parties, politicians, the government and parliament.
The broad definition states
There are a number of different ways of defining power; one is where an individual or group of people are able to get what they want, despite opposition from others. We have power so far as we can get others to do what we want and exercise power when we influence someone against their will.
The difference between authority and coercion is:
o Coercion involves the use of force. Eg: rapists or killers.
o Authority is exercised over us willingly as we think it's the right thing to do. Eg police or teachers.
In a democratic society our views count in the process of decision making. In Britain we can participate and make our views known by:
o Voting, eg: in local, general and European elections.
o Starting or joining
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Politics (view all)
- How important a contribution is made by the Ombudsmen to the...
- Distinguish between the different functions of the House of ...
- What means are available to parliament and how effective is ...
- To what extent has Parliament lost Sovereignty?
- How did Mussolini consolidate his power?
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.