- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What Are The Key Elements Of Thatcherism? To What Extent Was It A Reaction To The Post War Consensus?
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Politics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
What Are The Key Elements Of Thatcherism? To What Extent Was It A Reaction To
The Post War Concensus?
Whether it is viewed as a success or a failure, most accept that 'Thatcherism' was a major turning point in recent political history. The 1979 general election was in many ways the most significant since the end of the war, as it signalled the comprehensive end of what became known as the Post-war Consensus, changing fundamentally the way in which the country was governed. To understand whether Thatcherism was a reaction against this consensus we have to first understand what the consensus was and what the key features of Thatcherism were.
Thatcherism can be defined as an attempt to establish a new political and ideological framework based on a variety of new right ideas. Thatchers style of leadership also helped make up this ideology. Riddell says. "Mrs Thatcher's view, prejudice and style have determined government's actions more than any other single factor."
It is now possibly to determine several main themes which help make up Thatcherism
The first of these was the new way of managing the economy. Monetarism as it became known is
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Politics (view all)
- Sources of the UK Constitution.
- "The Unknown Citizen": Auden's Satire of the State...
- What Made America Prosperous in the 1920's?
- What is the difference between Power and Authority?
- Distinguish between power and authority.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.