- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discuss and Evaluate Some Fundamental Assumptions of Positive Psychology.
The first 200 words of this essay...
DISCUSS AND EVALUATE SOME FUNDAMENTAL ASSUMPTIONS OF POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY
In previous years psychology has tended to focus much of its attention on the understanding and repairing of negative aspects of human nature, for instance depression and prejudice. In doing this it has neglected the finer qualities of life. Positive psychology is concerned with emphasising factors that contribute to happiness and well being, rather than trying to treat deficit and pathology. This assignment aims to highlight some of the fundamental assumptions of positive psychology, whilst at the same time addressing any major criticisms.
A key figure in the positive psychology movement is Martin Seligman. Seligman
Believes that modern psychology has been so preoccupied with relieving any factors that may make life miserable, that it has forgotten about those that produce a more enjoyable existence. According to him, social sciences in particular, view human strengths and virtues as mere fantasy, whilst negative motivation and human flaws are viewed as authentic. As a result of this, human beings have often been disregarded as passive victims of society. Seligman aims to correct this unbalance by promoting the investigation into positive areas of psychology.
Seligman proposes three 'desirable lives,'
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychology (view all)
- In this essay I will evaluate and explain the Social Learnin...
- Research Methodology
- Compare and contrast two psychological perspectives I am go...
- Freud's' psychodynamic approach attempts to explain what dri...
- How do external factors affect a child's development?
- This research was taken place in order to investigate whethe...
- Psychology Perception - While playing outside with his frien...
- Separation Anxiety Disorder V.S. Separation Anxiety
- What is meant in psychology by the term attachment?
- Structures and functions of the brain
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.