- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Is psychodynamic psychology universally accepted?
The first 200 words of this essay...
IB1 KONTEAS BENNY
IS PSYCHODYNAMIC PSYCHOLOGY UNIVERSALLY ACCEPTED?
Totem and Taboo (1913) is a book Freud regarded as one of his best. It presents a psychological interpretation of the life of primitive peoples. It employs the concepts of psychoanalysis, but, like other books of the time, is also influenced by evolutionary thinking, not just Darwin's theory of biological evolution but the general ideas of intellectual and social evolution as well. In it, Freud accepts the opinion of his age that it is not just our physical selves which are products of evolution; he also adopts the idea, shared by Tylor and Frazer, that we have also evolved intellectually and observes that our social institutions, like our animal species, have traced an unsteady but still upward line of progress. As a result, he argues, just as we find clues to the personality of individual adults in their earlier character as children, so we find in the character of past cultures important clues to the nature of civilization in the present. This past, moreover, includes not just our civilized ancestors like the Greeks and Romans but (now that Darwin has shown the connection) even prehistoric cultures and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Psychology (view all)
- In this essay I will evaluate and explain the Social Learnin...
- Compare and contrast two psychological perspectives I am go...
- Research Methodology
- Theories from the psychodynamic approach have helped to expl...
- Discuss and Evaluate Some Fundamental Assumptions of Positiv...
- This research was taken place in order to investigate whethe...
- Psychology Perception - While playing outside with his frien...
- Separation Anxiety Disorder V.S. Separation Anxiety
- What is meant in psychology by the term attachment?
- Structures and functions of the brain
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.