- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
A) For what reasons may suffering create philosophical problems for a religious believer? (10) B) Outline two solutions to these problems and comment on their success
The first 200 words of this essay...
Essay question on the problem of evil
A) For what reasons may suffering create philosophical problems for a religious believer? (10)
B) Outline two solutions to these problems and comment on their success (10)
A) The problem of suffering has been around since the dawn of time, or as religious philosophers believe; since Adam and Eve first sinned in the Garden of Eden. The first problem that arises from evil is that we believe that the God of classical theism has certain attributes. These are that:
* God is all powerful (Omnipotence)
* God is all loving (Omnibenevolence)
* God is all knowing (Omniscience)
* God creates ex-nilho (out of nothing)
* God is infinite
The last point is not as important in this discussion; the others are the main points in the arguments for and against evil in the world. I will attempt to get an argument for each of the points above.
First off, the attribute of God being all loving causes a problem because it is said that if God is all loving then he should surely want to end all of the suffering that occurs
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Existence of God (view all)
- Identify two differences between idealism and representative...
- Explain Christian Beliefs about Justice, Forgiveness and Rec...
- Individual religious experience means individual religious f...
- Describe what Christians believe about the nature of God.
- Describe Christian beliefs about good and evil
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.