• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Australia has areas which can be classified as poverty-stricken.

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

POVERTY Like every other country in the world Australia has areas which can be classified as poverty-stricken. Even though the minority of people in these areas may not always be poor we classify them as poor because they live in poverty stricken areas. Poverty is a major concern in all countries as it wrecks the economy and disrupts the social balance of a country's economy if it gets out of hand. There are many causes for poverty but the most common one is that the poor do not earn a large enough income to be able to live a normal life. This lack of income can be caused from numerous reasons including lack of work skills, unable to get a job because of a criminal record, not being suited to the job or being unable to keep and hold a job for prolonged periods of time. Many of the people stricken by poverty and who live on the streets have a mental illness of one kind or another, which destroys any chances of them getting a job. These people do not know how to interact correctly with society, as they have no knowledge of how to interact with people. ...read more.

Middle

Australia experienced a time of immense poverty, during the Great Depression. Many other countries fell into poverty during this era because of the lack of money and jobs. Australia recovered from the depression due to World War 2. The war provided many jobs around Australia in the army, making weapons and bullets as well as farmhands, who worked the fields to provide food for the soldiers to eat during the war. This meant that more people bought things from other people causing our economy to gets itself back on track and pulled our citizens out from the greedy hands of poverty. Back in 1975 Australia had an overall poverty rate of 6.4% which is not really that bad compared to some other countries. Unfortunately for us this rate has increased over the years at a steady rate. In 1981-82 Australia's poverty rate rose by 3.8% to reach a total of 10.2 %. The percentage of people in poverty continued to rise in 1985-86 but by a smaller margin of 1.5%, to a total of 11.7% of Australian's in poverty. Within a space of ten years the percentage of poverty stricken people in Australia had rose from 6.4% to 11.7%. ...read more.

Conclusion

I think that the current methods for reducing poverty are working quite well. The percentage of poor people has dropped because our unemployment rate has decreased meaning more people are earning a wage and increasing their personal worth. The poverty percentage has fallen over the last few years and this is because of the current measures being used by the government. As there is currently no uproar about poverty and no protests, riots or demonstrations I interpret that people consider like I do that the poverty level is slowly increasing making the country and all it's inhabitants much better off. Our poverty level has decreased even more since 1996 and even though I don't know the exact percentage I expect it to be below 10%. Our state has payed off a lot of the debt it had amassed and the current average debt per person is $2500 compared with $6500 a few years ago. Once this debt has been totally paid off the government can concentrate on new and improved methods to bring the states as well as countries poverty level way down. In summary I do think the current methods employed to decrease poverty are working very efficiently and extremely well. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Charities, Poverty and Development section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related GCSE Charities, Poverty and Development essays

  1. Identify four causes of the increase in poverty and vagrancy in the Tudor period.

    This was streamlined in 1601, it was much enlightened and indeed much more sympathetic towards the problems of Poverty and vagrancy. It was so good it stayed on the statute book until 1834. Much of the ideas to deal with the poor and vagrants in Elizabethan times cam e from John Aldrich who had been the mayor of Norwich.

  2. Wealth and Poverty

    These countries have an extremely low standard of living. They only use 25 per cent of the world's resources, although 75 per cent of the world's population lives there. Where as the First World countries like North America, West Europe, and Australasia in the rich Northern.

  1. RE poverty

    cash crops at will, the countries find it hard to keep up, and soon are drowning in their debt. Countries who cannot support their population by providing healthcare, such as; hospitals or vaccinations, and can't provide simple, basic education to help prevent people catching the disease or help them become employable, can't help them at all.

  2. Federal poverty line

    Averages of rentals from www.rent.com for Cleveland, OH. $750 $9,000 Home Phone Basic local. Used former phone bills from AT &T. $30 $360 Gas Assuming money left over during summer months would be put to aside to use during winter months when bill would be higher.

  1. Singer's Practical Ethics: Poverty

    The consequence is what Singer is concerned with. The second difference between murdering someone and letting them die deals with the effort needed to accomplish each. It can be considered easy to kill someone and requires no moral strength. However, it takes moral heroics to go out of one's way in order to save someone's life.

  2. A Poverty Stricken Paradise.

    When I asked one woman how she coped with not eating for so long, she replied, "When I feel hungry, I tighten my belt." This was horrific to hear, but for her it was a way of life. Because of the ongoing drought, water was becoming very scarce.

  1. The Relation Between Consumerism and Poverty

    If the trends continue without change - not reallocating from high-income to low-income consumers, not encouraging goods that empower poor producers, not changing priority from consumption for conspicuous display to meeting basic needs, not shifting from polluting to cleaner goods and production technologies - today's problems of consumption and human development will worsen.

  2. Wealth and Poverty.

    Surah 2:280 states that "If the debtor is in a difficulty, grant him time to repay...but if ye remit it by way of charity, that is best for you." Muslims also help other poor Muslim families and communities. Money is used to help the poor both in Great Britain and abroad.

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work