- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Discipleship - The word disciple comes from the Greek word
The first 200 words of this essay...
R.E Coursework - Discipleship
The word disciple comes from the Greek word "Mathétés". It means, one who learns. The twelve disciples were chosen to represent the twelve tribes of Israel. There are four lists given of the names of the disciples. In Mark's gospel the list is in Mk3: 16-19. In Mark and Matthew's gospel they both include Thaddeus but in Luke's gospel he has Judas Son of James nicknamed Thaddeus since the name Judas was hated by the early church. But at that time disciples were very common, everybody had them because in MK 2:18, we are told that the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting. All rabbis had disciples. They hoped to become rabbis themselves and thought that they'd get glory, wealth, honour and maybe even a place in heaven for leading a good life. What is unique to discipleship for Jesus is the type of people who followed him, the values needed to be a true disciple, how he called them to follow him and what they were charged to do.
The calling of the Disciples:
Jesus called the lowest people in Jewish society, fishermen and tax collectors, etc. The
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Discipleship (view all)
- Images of Discipleship in Today's Society
- Explain how Jesus is a role model for Christian life
- Jesus expected far too much of his disciples
- The Nature of Discipleship
- The dictionary definition of disciple is 'one who believes i...
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student