Extracts from this document...
ISLAM 1. Monotheism means the belief in one God. 2. The name of the cube shaped building in the centre of Mecca is the Kabaa. 3. Muhammad* (pbuh) received the first revelation in the mountains from the angel Gabriel. 4. The 2 main beliefs for the first pillar Shahadah is the Muslim declaration of faith, "The is no God but Allah, and Muhammad* (pbuh) is his ultimate messenger." 5. The Quran is the Muslim holy book. It is written in Arabic so it remains true and can't be changed in translation. Islam means the peace which comes from a willing obedience to God. 6. The 3 requirements of Salah are: 1) Wudhu, 2) Rakah, 3) Pray 5 times a day. 7. The importance for Muslims of Sawm (fasting) is that they are expected to fast between dawn and sunset. During this time food, drink and sexual relations are forbidden. Young children don't have to fast. The sick, elderly or pregnant can break their fast according to their individual circumstances. ...read more.
Islam- * It is not allowed 'after the foetus is completely formed and has been given a soul'. However, this allows a variety of attitudes to abortion among Muslims. * The majority of Muslims believe that abortion is a great sin, but may be allowed if the life of the mother is threatened. This based on the teachings of Islam about the sanctity of life, especially in the Islamic view that all life belongs to God alone. 3. FOR: * woman has right to choose; * no legal abortion, end up with back street abortion; AGAINST: * women don't have time to think about abortion; * adds to isolation; * operation causes distress to foetus. PLANET EARTH 1. 5 examples of damage to the Earth are as follows: * O-Zone hole due to CFC gases; * Acid rain due to power stations, factories and car exhaust dissolved in rain; * Deforestation due to forests being cleared for fuel or to make room for farming. ...read more.
4. PERSONAL: * don't use environment damaging products; * recycle; * write to an MP; * use public transport. GOVERNMENT: * develop new fuels; * tax companies who cause pollution; * pass more laws on conservations. LIFE AFTER DEATH 1. Christianity- Duties towards God: * no other gods; * no images; * observe the Sabbath days; * attend church; * prayer; * bible reading. Duties towards Neighbour: * no murder; * no stealing; * no adultery; * no lie; * work among poor and outcast, e.g. Mother Teresa. * Work for Justice and Peace, e.g. Martin Luther King Jr. * Bible teaching: "The Good Samaritan." 2. Islam- "The 5 Pillars are the framework of a Muslim's life." * SHAHADAH: belief, "There is no God but God and Muhammad* (pbuh) is his ultimate messenger. * SALAH: pray 5 times a day. * ZAKAH: give 2.5% of your annual savings to charity. * SAWM (fasting): Ramadan - during daylight hours. * HAJJ: at least once in a life time pilgrimage to Mecca. ...read more.
This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our GCSE Prejudice and Discrimination section.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- 150,000+ documents available
- Just £6.99 a month
- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month