- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Does God exist?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Does God exist?
Both St Thomas Aquinas' cosmological argument and William Paley's teleological argument both claim to prove that God exists. However both arguments are ambiguous meaning that they can be interpreted in more than one way and so you can study both arguments and come away with two sensible conclusions claiming that God does or doesn't exist. In the piece I am going to go through each argument and give reasons as to how each argument supports a belief in God or does not support a belief in God.
The main thrust of the cosmological argument is that when asking about how the universe was created, it would simply be illogical to claim that something sprung from nothing and so something must have created it. However today we have evidence that the universe was caused by a big bang, but St Thomas Aquinas was not alive at the time of this discovery however he would have said that it cannot be an answer because then you would have to ask the question, what created the big bang? The cosmological argument states that the realistic explanation for the creation of the universe is that there was
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Existence of God (view all)
- For what reasons may suffering cause philosophical problems ...
- How do the 10 commandments reflect Gods goodness and his wis...
- Hide and Seek - poetry analysis
- Was Egyptian Medicine an important step forward?
- A chronicle of a death foretold - Honor vs. Religion.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.