- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain how Muslim teachings affect the Muslim attitudes towards the role of women
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain how Muslim teachings affect Muslim attitudes to the role and status of women
The Qur'an teaches that women and men have the same right to life and are equal in God's eyes. Qur'an 16:97 stated this very clearly: 'whoever performs good deeds, whether male or female, and is a believer, we shall surely make them lead a good life, and we will certainly reward them for the best of what they did.' Muhammad, in particular, has put great emphasis upon the importance of women, especially mothers, as shown in the following quotation from Qur'an' A typical example is when Muhammad was asked about whom to care for, Muhammad answered 'your mother' three times before saying 'your father'.
The way the Qur'an is expressed and interpreted in a culture that affects the status of women in society more greatly than the Qur'an itself. Muslim teachings certainly encourage that women should be treated equally to men, but the historical, social and cultural influences could sometimes override the original message from the Qur'an. For example, Qur'an 4:12 states that: 'You shall inherit the half of your wives' estate if they die childless. Your wives shall inherit one quarter
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Islam as a living religious tradition
- Saudi Arabia : Zakat, Poverty, Hypocrisy - Saudi Arabia only...
- The beliefs and practices of Christianity and Muslims
- Progressive vs. Regressive Trends in Islam
- Islamiyat Notes. Surah al Anaam (Ch. 6 : Vs. 101-103)These v...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student