- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain the terms 'Relative poverty', 'Absolute Poverty' and 'Culture of Poverty'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Poverty and Deprivation.
1. Explain the terms 'Relative poverty', 'Absolute Poverty' and 'Culture of Poverty'.
Absolute (or subsistence) Poverty is a term used to describe poverty that is measured as being without the resources to maintain health and physical efficiency. Basic human needs such as an amount of food, clothes and shelter are ways that 'being in' absolute poverty is measured. "a family is poor if it cannot afford to eat". (Keith Joseph, 1979). The concept of absolute poverty was developed by Rowntree in the 19th century. Usually measured as a minimum sum of money. Rowntree's early studies of York and Booth's Life and Labour in east London are both examples of a calculation of resources (money) needed to meet the needs of survival, therefore being classified as either 'in' or 'not in' absolute poverty.Absolute poverty is perhaps more linked to malnutrition which is particular important to developing countries and as Sen (1982) argues when looking at the whole world. "Malnutrition captures only one aspect of our idea of poverty... (but). must have a central place in the conception of poverty".
Much sociological research looks at relative rather than absolute poverty. Harrington 1962 wrote in 'The Other
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Charities, Poverty and Development (view all)
- The term poverty is widely used to describe situations that ...
- 'Charity should begin at home'.
- Wealth and poverty - Islamic teachings.
- Poverty is a Controversial Issue.
- CRITICALLY EXAMINE THE CULTURAL EXPLANATIONS OF POVERTY
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.