- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Hide and Seek - poetry analysis
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Philosophy and Ethics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Hide & seek - poem analysis
The poems first two lines are very childlike and give the impression of an innocent game of hide and seek. The alliteration of the 's' sound in line two sets a seaside scene. Line three, however, plants a seed of doubt in my mind. The phrase 'salty dark' is a little suspect and shady, it makes me think that something isn't perhaps as it first seems. The next line reads ' But be careful that your feet aren't sticking out', this line returns to a jovial and childlike tone once again. It forms a perfect rhyming couplet with the next line ' Wiser not to make another shout'.
'The floor is cold', this touches once again on the more ominous feel of the verse, but again, the cheerful pitch of the poem returns with 'Whatever happens you mustn't sneeze'. Then the line continues 'When they come prowling in' - prowling is a rather sombre choice of word and once again the doubt is back..
'And there they are, whispering at the door, You've never heard them so hushed before. Don't breathe. Don't move. Stay dumb. Hide in your blindness. They're moving
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Existence of God (view all)
- A religious experience is proof that God exists. Do you agre...
- 'You cannot be a Scientist & also Religious'. Discuss
- Explain Christian Beliefs about Justice, Forgiveness and Rec...
- The creation stories in the bible are fiction." Discuss...
- Describe what Christians believe about the nature of God.
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.