- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Iraq was and still is a virtually all Muslim country
The first 200 words of this essay...
Iraq was originally part of the Ottoman Empire. It became a free state in 1932. A republic was put forward in 1958 but military strongmen took over and ruled the country. They still had rule until recently when America invaded Iraq and overthrew the leader Saddam Hussein.
Iraq was and still is a virtually all Muslim country with only a small amount of other religions living there (mainly Christians). The country is split up into two types of Muslim, Sunni and Shiite Muslims. Also there are two types of inhabitants Arabs=75-80% and Kurds=15-20%.
Iraq is 60-65% Shiite and 32-37% Sunni. Others add up to a total of about 8%. When Saddam Hussein was in power he didn't allow Shiite Muslims to worship as he was a Sunni. This was odd as most of the country was Shiite Muslims. He killed many Shiite Muslims who revolted and was wanted for many war crimes. He is most known for the Gulf wars when he invaded Kuwait. The Americans have now captured him but he could never repay the damage he caused.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hajj (view all)
- FIVE PILLARS OF ISLAM
- The 5 pillars of Islam revision notes
- Describe What happens during Hajj All Muslim...
- Explain the meaning and significance of Hajj for a Muslim
- What is meant by fasting? (ii) Describe and explain the fast...
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.