- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Everyone knows that our world is far from perfect. Modern society is full of aspects that we may not all be proud of. Racism, simply defined as discrimination or prejudice based on race is one of them. Racism is present throughout the world. But nowhere is it more prevalent than in the United States. Reaching as far back as Colonial Times, racism was a hardship that all had to endure. The colonists would consider themselves superior to the natives, which had ironically lived there for many centuries before foreign intrusion. Since then, racism has always been present, especially against blacks, who were captured from their homeland then made into slaves and servants for the wealthy white landowners. Many years later, slavery was abolished and laws were instated against the cruel practice, which prohibited blacks from enjoying the same rights as whites. Although racism is prohibited and illegal, unfair treatment from the "superior race" (the whites) towards other minority groups (African-Americans, Hispanics, Chinese, etc.) can still be felt. Hispanics have often become the target of racism in today's society. Racism, in the U.S., against Hispanics diminishes their rights to equality in job opportunities.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Prejudice and Discrimination (view all)
- Martin Luther and Phillip Melanchthon's Contributions in Edu...
- Discursive essay on Racism.
- Persuasive writing - racism
- What Christian teachings might be used in a discussion about...
- The Amish have a distinctive culture. Do their beliefs and v...
""Zoey. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.