- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Material Possessions will never bring happiness
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Philosophy and Ethics and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Material Possessions will never bring happiness'
This quotation is partly true and in other ways quite inaccurate. It's relevant and applicable to our lives only when we stop to think about what really does bring us satisfaction. The key is to know the difference between our needs and desires. Money is a desire, we can live without it. In fact many people on reaching a high status in wealth have been known to say they were happier before it. We work everyday to earn money and yet how many people can say by the time they get their pay check that they are completely happy. Money does not satisfy us we only crave for more, it does not bring happiness, and if it did we would already be happy!
It is not only money that sets us off craving for more but other things. Such as cars, houses, clothes and CDs but if these things make us happy why then, do we still long for other things? This saying is not only significant to everyday life but also to people of different faiths. In Buddhism for example, one of the noble truths (Tanha) clearly states that suffering
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Miscellaneous (view all)
- Explain why some people believe that the paranormal proves t...
- Earth Summits are all talk and no action Do you agree?
- Religious Landscape in Australia Post 1945
- Who am I?
- Theories of Life after Death do not provide a solution to th...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.